The current social insurance system was established in
1972 and includes social insurance (pensions and health
insurance), grants (maternity allowance and social security
contributions) and social services (child care). Since the
beginning of the 1990s, health care has been partially
tax-financed. Work injury insurance has also been
Most of the country's doctors and hospitals are located
in and around Nassau, and a "flying-doctor-service" sends
doctors to the islands where health care is less developed.
In 2007, there were just over 3 hospital beds per 1,000
residents in the country. The health care sector accounts
for about 7 percent of the country's GDP (2008). Visit AbbreviationFinder to see the definitions of BAH and acronym for Bahamas.
Nassau City in the Bahamas
Nassau, the capital of the Bahamas; 248,900 residents (2010). The city is
located on the north coast of the island of New Providence and holds nearly
two-thirds of the country's population.
Nassau is one of the world's most important offshore banking centers; there
are hundreds of banks, insurance companies and other financial services besides
large shipping companies; approximately 5% of the world's merchant fleet is officially
based in Nassau. The activities are based on the Bahamas liberal business law.
See also convenience flags.
With its location less than 300 km from the coast of Florida, Nassau is also
a busy tourist center with great visits by, among other things. cruise tourists.
The small island of Paradise Island (formerly Hog Island) north of the city is
now fully equipped for gaming casinos, and with two bridges there, the island
has gradually become part of Nassau.
In the city itself, the old British Colonial hotel dominates not only the Bay
Street main street, but the entire low, white and pink colonial buildings,
prohibiting high-rise buildings.
The city was changed. in 1660 by English settlers and was given the name
Nassau in 1729.
1942-45 was the city's training center for the Royal Air Force, and the
airport was widely used as an intermediate station for American-made military
equipment for the European allies.