The Bahamas is an archipelagic nation located in the Caribbean Sea with a population of around 393,000 people. The majority of the population is ethnically Bahamian, with a notable minority of Haitians and other ethnicities. Christianity is the predominant religion, with over 80% of citizens identifying as Protestants while the remaining 20% are followers of traditional religions or other religious groups. The official language is English, but Haitian Creole and Spanish are also commonly spoken. Most Bahamians live in urban areas and work in industry or services rather than agriculture. Poverty levels have been steadily decreasing since 2010, with the unemployment rate currently at 12%. Check hyperrestaurant to learn more about Bahamas in 2009.
The current social insurance system was established in 1972 and includes social insurance (pensions and health insurance), grants (maternity allowance and social security contributions) and social services (child care). Since the beginning of the 1990s, health care has been partially tax-financed. Work injury insurance has also been introduced.
Most of the country’s doctors and hospitals are located in and around Nassau, and a “flying-doctor-service” sends doctors to the islands where health care is less developed. In 2007, there were just over 3 hospital beds per 1,000 residents in the country. The health care sector accounts for about 7 percent of the country’s GDP (2008). Visit AbbreviationFinder to see the definitions of BAH and acronym for Bahamas.
Nassau City in the Bahamas
Nassau, the capital of the Bahamas; 248,900 residents (2010). The city is located on the north coast of the island of New Providence and holds nearly two-thirds of the country’s population. Check to see Bahamas population.
Nassau is one of the world’s most important offshore banking centers; there are hundreds of banks, insurance companies and other financial services besides large shipping companies; approximately 5% of the world’s merchant fleet is officially based in Nassau. The activities are based on the Bahamas liberal business law. See also convenience flags.
With its location less than 300 km from the coast of Florida, Nassau is also a busy tourist center with great visits by, among other things. cruise tourists. The small island of Paradise Island (formerly Hog Island) north of the city is now fully equipped for gaming casinos, and with two bridges there, the island has gradually become part of Nassau.
In the city itself, the old British Colonial hotel dominates not only the Bay Street main street, but the entire low, white and pink colonial buildings, prohibiting high-rise buildings.
The city was changed. in 1660 by English settlers and was given the name Nassau in 1729.
1942-45 was the city’s training center for the Royal Air Force, and the airport was widely used as an intermediate station for American-made military equipment for the European allies.