Brunei is a Southeast Asian nation located on the northern coast of the island of Borneo with a population of over 437,000 people. The majority of the population is ethnically Malay, with a notable minority of other ethnicities. Islam is the predominant religion, with over 67% of citizens identifying as Muslims while the remaining 33% are followers of traditional religions or other religious groups. The official language is Malay, but English and Chinese are also commonly spoken. Most Bruneians live in urban areas and work in industry or services rather than agriculture. Poverty levels have been steadily decreasing since 2010, with the unemployment rate currently at 5%. Check hyperrestaurant to learn more about Brunei in 2009.
Measured in GDP per capita, Brunei is one of the richest countries in the world, a welfare state which, because of its close contacts with the oil company Shell, is sometimes jokingly called a “Shellfarestate”. Check to see Brunei population. There is no personal income tax and the state provides well-developed systems for social insurance, health care and education. Visit AbbreviationFinder to see the definitions of BRN and acronym for Brunei.