The continents of the world are large strips of land surrounded by water, where it is possible to find different forms of life, vegetation and climate. In total, there are six: America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania and Antarctica.
The continents of the world were formed in the Precambrian period, about 4.5 billion years ago, on tectonic plates, which were initially grouped in an immense territorial mass called Pangeia.
Continents and their countries
Below are the most populous countries on each continent:
Asia has 50 countries. According to BRIDGAT.COM, the 10 most populous are:
|China||Beijing||1.386 billion (2017)|
|India||New Delhi||1.339 billion (2017)|
|Indonesia||Jakarta||264 million (2017)|
|Pakistan||Islamabad||197 million (2017)|
|Bangladesh||Dhaka||164.7 million (2017)|
|Japan||Tokyo||126.8 million (2017)|
|Philippines||Manila||104.9 million (2017)|
|Vietnam||Hanoi||95.54 million (2017)|
|Will||Tehran||95.54 million (2017)|
|Thailand||Bangkok||69.04 million (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in Asia:
America has 36 countries. See countries by subcontinents:
According to Countryaah, North America has 4 countries:
|USA||Washington||327.2 million (2018)|
|Mexico||Mexico City||129.2 million (2017)|
|Canada||Ottawa||37.06 million (2018)|
Of the 20 Central American countries the 5 most populous are:
|Guatemala||Guatemala City||16.91 million (2017)|
|Cuba||Havana||11.48 million (2017)|
|Honduras||Tegucigalpa||9.265 million (2017)|
|El Salvador||Salvador||6.378 million (2017)|
|Nicaragua||Managua||6.218 million (2017)|
Of the 12 countries in South America the 5 most populous are:
|Brazil||Brasilia||209.3 million (2017)|
|Argentina||Buenos Aires||44.27 million (2017)|
|Colombia||Bogota||49.07 million (2017)|
|Venezuela||Caracas||31.98 million (2017)|
|Peru||lime||32.17 million (2017)|
Africa has 54 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
|Nigeria||Abuja||190.9 million (2017)|
|Ethiopia||Addis Ababa||105 million (2017)|
|Egypt||Cairo||97.55 million (2017)|
|Democratic Republic of Congo||Kinshasa||81.34 million (2017)|
|South Africa||Pretoria (Executive), Bloemfontein (Judiciary), Cape Town (Legislative)||56.72 million (2017)|
|Tanzania||Dodoma||57.31 million (2017)|
|Kenya||Nairobi||49.7 million (2017)|
|Algeria||Algiers||41.32 million (2017)|
|Sudan||Khartoum||40.53 million (2017)|
|Uganda||Kampala||42.86 million (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in Africa:
Europe has 50 countries and the most populous are:
|Russia||Moscow||144.5 million (2017)|
|Germany||Berlin||82.79 million (2017)|
|Turkey||Ankara||79.81 million (2017)|
|France||Paris||66.99 million (2019)|
|United Kingdom||London||66.04 million (2017)|
|Italy||Pomegranate||60.59 million (2017)|
|Spain||Madrid||46.72 million (2018)|
|Ukraine||Kiev||44.83 million (2017)|
|Poland||Warsaw||38.43 million (2017)|
|Romania||Bucharest||19.64 million (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in Europe:
Oceania has 14 countries and more than 10,000 islands. The most populous countries are:
|Australia||Canberra||24.6 million (2017)|
|Papua New Guinea||Port Moresby||8.251 million (2017)|
|New Zealand||Wellington||4.794 million (2017)|
|Solomon Islands||Honiara||611,343 (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in Oceania:
In sum, a continent or continent is a very large, contiguous area of land. In terms of size, there are Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe and Australia together with Oceania, i.e. seven continents.
Most continents are clearly separated from each other by oceans. Europe and Asia are an exception because there is no sea in between. Between the west and east, the Ural Mountains are the border. There are various possible boundaries between north and south, i.e. between the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea. Europe and Asia are therefore often called “Eurasia”.
Asia, Europe and Africa are called the “old world”, and in ancient times people traveled back and forth between Europe, Asia and Africa. The Europeans only discovered the “New World” at the beginning of modern times. The New World consisted of North America and South America. These two can also be seen as a large double continent, i.e. America. Australia was not part of the New World. The discovery of Australia followed at least 100 years later.
If you look at Europe and Asia as Eurasia and America as a double continent, then you only come across five continents with Africa, Antarctica and Australia. Otherwise you count up to seven continents. Oceania is not a real continent. But sometimes it is counted, sometimes it is counted as Australia.
NORTH POLE AND SOUTH POLE
Know the characteristics and the differences between the North Pole and the South Pole!
The North Pole and the South Pole are two geographic regions located, respectively, at the northern and southern tip of the Earth, registering the coldest temperatures on our planet and being characterized by the vastness of ice that covers them. Despite this, these two regions are very different. We will now know a little more about each of the land poles.
The North Pole, also known as the Arctic, is not even considered a continent, since it consists only of ice and polar caps. Despite this, there is animal life in this region, especially polar bears and some types of fish that live below the ice sheets, in addition to whales, seals and sea lions.
The South Pole, also known as Antarctica, is a continent, as it is a portion of land covered by large layers of ice. Unlike the north pole, it has variations in altitude, which makes it colder in the higher regions. Among the animals that live in Antarctica, penguins and other species that appear in the region to escape the heat or to reproduce, such as whales and some species of birds, stand out.
Solving the puzzle: in a fight between a Sea Lion and a Penguin, who would win?
Nobody. They live in different poles and will never meet!
Do Eskimos live in the North Pole or the South Pole?
At the North Pole. However, in reality, they do not live in the very north of the planet, but in the regions of Alaska, northern Canada and Russia, which are very close to the Arctic region.
- Ecuador History November 19, 2021 - Precolumbian era The first records of known human settlements in the current Ecuadorian territory date from approximately 12,500 years ago. There are remains of the Paleoindian in Las Vegas, Chobsi, Cubilán and Amazonian cave paintings.… Continue Reading
- Costa Rica Culture November 12, 2021 - The Ministry of Culture, although it has many initiatives, these hardly see the light due to the lack of resources. However, it is worth noting the consistency and quality of the permanent programs, such as… Continue Reading
- Switzerland Arts and Music November 5, 2021 - With its diverse influences, according to andyeducation, Swiss art music is also a reflection of the country's eventful history. Its roots lie in the monasteries of the Middle Ages, where Gregorian chant, trope and sequence… Continue Reading
- Panama Landmarks October 22, 2021 - According to hyperrestaurant, Panama is a paradise of mountains and water. Fabulously beautiful beaches and countless tropical islands invite you to relax and dream, while a chain of former volcanoes up to 3,500 meters high… Continue Reading
- Health and Diseases in Chile October 15, 2021 - According to hyperrestaurant, Chile extends about 4,500 km along the west coast of the South American continent, whereas the east-west extent is not nearly a tenth of that. Topographically, the country is mainly determined by… Continue Reading
- Attractions in Bolivia October 12, 2021 - Bolivia - landmarks Bolivia is a very interesting country that you should definitely see. In itself, Bolivia has not yet been fully developed for tourism, but it still has a large number of different sights… Continue Reading
- Munich Agreement October 12, 2021 - Munich Agreement, concluded on September 29, 1938 in Munich between the German Reich, Great Britain, France and Italy, on September 30 by A. Hitler, A. N. Chamberlain, É. Daladier and B. Mussolini signed a contract. He ended the "Sudeten Crisis" and… Continue Reading
- Detroit – Not Just Beautiful for Car Enthusiasts October 11, 2021 - If you take a closer look at the geographical location of Detroit, then the traveler's heart can beat faster. Located in the northeastern United States on a huge lake, and a stone's throw from Canada.… Continue Reading
- Mexico Economy and History October 11, 2021 - ECONOMY: TRADE, COMMUNICATIONS AND TOURISM Trade is lively, both internal and foreign; the volume of trade in the country has increased considerably, also thanks to the trade agreements signed with the United States and Canada… Continue Reading
- Travel to Portugal October 8, 2021 - Portugal is located in the west of the Iberian Peninsula on Atlantic ocean. The eastern neighbor of Portugal is Spain. Portugal is one of the oldest states in Europe. Independence was achieved in 1143, today's… Continue Reading