State Route 87 in Nebraska
According to act-test-centers, State Route 87, also known as Highway 87 is a state route in the U.S. state of Nebraska. The road forms a north-south route in the western part of the state and runs from Alliance to the South Dakota border at Whiteclay. Highway 87 is 124 kilometers long.
Highway 87 begins in Alliance, a small town in the Nebraska Panhandle. Highway 2 crosses here, but US 385 is also not far away. Highway 87 first travels 25 kilometers from Alliance due north through a flat farmland with circular irrigation, then temporarily bends northeast, before continuing north again through farmland to Hay Springs. Between Hay Springs and Rushville, Highway 87 is nearly 20 miles with US 20 double-numbered, heading east here. From Rushville, the road heads north again, after which the road passes through an area with minor elevation changes. At Whiteclay, the border with the state of South Dakota follows, then State Route 407 in South Dakotacontinues to Pine Ridge.
Highway 87 was one of the original state highways of 1921 and at the time formed an east-west route from the Wyoming border at Henry to Bridgeport. In the major renumbering of 1925, this was renumbered Highway 18 and would later become US 26.
In the early 1930s, the number was reassigned to the current route. Because of the many agricultural opportunities in this part of Nebraska, the road was passable early on, much earlier than many other secondary north-south routes in western Nebraska. In the 1930s and 1940s the road was largely provided with a chipseal surfacing, and was later completely asphalted.
About 1,000 vehicles run daily between Alliance and Hay Springs and 800 to 900 vehicles between Rushville and the South Dakota border at Whiteclay. Highway 87 thus handles somewhat more traffic than north-south routes further east.
State Route 91 in Nebraska
According to liuxers, State Route 91, also known as Highway 91 is a state route in the U.S. state of Nebraska. The road forms a long east-west route through the center and east of the state, from Dunning to Blair. The road passes through two regions, the Sandhills to the west and the more cultivated Great Plains to the east. Highway 91 is 371 kilometers long.
At the village of Dunning, Highway 91 begins at Highway 2 and then heads east through the Sandhills. This area is very sparsely populated and hardly cultivated, except around a few small rivers. The section through the Sandhills is approximately 150 kilometers long, passing only a few small villages and hamlets and crossing only a limited number of roads. To the east, the area becomes more cultivated, especially east of US 281. Also on the eastern part of the route the places are small, although there is much more agriculture here. The main village is Albion. In Dodge County, Highway 91 has a fairly long double numbering with US 275to just north of Fremont. Highway 91 then continues east through the flat farming area and ends in Blair, 20 miles north of Omaha and near the Missouri River that forms the border with the state of Iowa.
Highway 91 was added to the original network of state highways in Nebraska circa 1923-1924 and at the time was a short route between Elk City and Omaha. In the major renumbering of 1925, this became part of Highway 8.
In the early 1930s, Highway 91 was reintroduced, this time on the current route. At the time, Highway 91 ran only from Newman Grove to Blair, so it was only in eastern Nebraska. In 1938 this was largely a gravel road. At the time, the part in the region around Albion was numbered as Highway 32, but still incomplete. In the Sandhills, a section from Dunning to the east was numbered Highway 7, a dirt road to Brewster. In the Taylor and Burwell area, the road was also partially numbered Highway 53.
The route was incomplete at the time, several parts were still missing, and there were no nearby alternative routes. Moreover, the roads that existed at the time were still almost completely unpaved. It was not until the 1950s that Highway 91 was numbered along its entire current route from Dunning to Blair, but the road between Blair and Almeria was missing for a long time. This missing part was built in the mid-1950s, directly as an asphalt road. In 1957, this was almost the only tarmac stretch of Highway 91 west of US 281. It was not until the 1960s and 1970s that Highway 91 was further paved.
The western portion of Highway 91 is very light, with only 300 vehicles per day passing through the Sandhills between Dunning and Taylor. Between Taylor and Burwell, 1,100 vehicles per day and 500 to 1,000 vehicles continue to Albion. Eastwards from Albion to US 275, 1,000 to 2,000 vehicles per day typically run and 1,100 to 1,600 vehicles per day on the easternmost section to Blair.