Vergas, Minnesota is a small town located in the heart of Otter Tail County. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Minnesota. With a population of just over 1,000 people, Vergas is a rural community that has been around since the late 1800s. The geography of Vergas is characterized by rolling hills, lakes, and forests. It is home to many small businesses and farms that contribute to its economy.
The climate in Vergas is typical of a midwestern state with cold winters and warm summers. The area receives an average of 25 inches of snow each year and temperatures can reach up to the 90s during the summer months.
The history of Vergas goes back to the late 1800s when it was first established as a logging town. Over time, it grew into an agricultural center before eventually becoming an important tourist destination with its many outdoor activities such as fishing, boating, and camping.
Politics in Vergas are largely conservative as it tends to lean Republican in elections. The local government consists of a mayor, council members, and other elected officials who serve on various boards and commissions throughout the city.
The economy in Vergas is largely dependent on tourism as well as farming and logging industries. There are several small businesses in the area including restaurants, retail stores, gas stations, and more that bring revenue into the community. Additionally there are two schools located within city limits; one public school for grades K-12 and one private school for grades K-8 that help provide education opportunities for local children.
Vergas also has several landmarks that help make it unique such as Rock Hill Park which features picnic areas alongside spectacular views from atop its namesake hill; Lakeside Park which offers visitors access to lakeside beaches; Eagle’s Nest Nature Preserve which provides trails for hiking; and Lake Lida which provides plenty of opportunities for fishing or just enjoying nature’s beauty from its shoreline.
Population: 311. Estimated population in July 2020: 302 (-2.9% change)
Males: 161 (51.8%), Females: 150 (48.2%)
Otter Tail County
Zip code: 56587
Median resident age: 43.1 years
Median household income: $27,344
Median house value: $66,900
Races in Vergas:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.1%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- Hispanic (1.0%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (55.0%), Norwegian (24.4%), Swedish (16.1%), Irish (7.1%), English (6.8%), Dutch (2.6%).
Elevation: 1410 feet
Land area: 1.5 square miles
Vergas, Minnesota is a small rural town, located in Otter Tail County, with a population of about 1,100 people. It is known for its quiet atmosphere and beautiful scenery. The median household income in Vergas is $41,000 and the median home value is $139,000. The cost of living in Vergas is relatively low compared to other parts of the country due to its small size. Most of the housing options are single family homes or cabins on large parcels of land. Renting an apartment or house can be expensive due to the limited availability and high demand. Groceries, gas and other necessities are also relatively inexpensive due to lack of competition from big box stores or chain restaurants. There are a few local restaurants that serve good food at reasonable prices as well as several convenience stores for basic items. The local library offers free access to books and internet as well as programming for children and adults throughout the year. Vergas also has several parks with playgrounds, walking trails and picnic areas which provide plenty of outdoor activities for residents and visitors alike.
For population 25 years and over in Vergas
- High school or higher: 75.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 8.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Vergas city
- Never married: 29.8%
- Now married: 52.4%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 5.5%
- Divorced: 11.6%
0.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +24 (+8.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Vergas:
- ST MARYS REGIONAL HEALTH CENTER (about 12 miles; DETROIT LAKES, MN)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; PERHAM, MN)
- FERGUS FALLS REGIONAL TREATMENT CENTER (about 32 miles; FERGUS FALLS, MN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Vergas:
- HECTOR INTL (about 72 miles; FARGO, ND; Abbreviation: FAR)
- BEMIDJI-BELTRAMI COUNTY (about 84 miles; BEMIDJI, MN; Abbreviation: BJI)
- THIEF RIVER FALLS REGIONAL (about 100 miles; THIEF RIVER FALLS, MN; Abbreviation: TVF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Vergas:
- DETROIT LAKES-WETHING FIELD (about 13 miles; DETROIT LAKES, MN; Abbreviation: DTL)
- PERHAM MUNI (about 15 miles; PERHAM, MN; Abbreviation: 16D)
- PELICAN RAPIDS MUNI-LYON’S FIELD (about 21 miles; PELICAN RAPIDS, MN; Abbreviation: 47Y)
Amtrak station near Vergas:
- 12 miles: DETROIT LAKES (116 PIONEER ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Vergas:
- MINNESOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MOORHEAD (about 52 miles; MOORHEAD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 6,400)
- CONCORDIA COLLEGE AT MOORHEAD (about 52 miles; MOORHEAD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,771)
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE COLLEGE OF SCIENCE (about 62 miles; WAHPETON, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,176)
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 83 miles; FARGO, ND; Full-time enrollment: 8,836)
- NORTHWEST TECHNICAL COLLEGE-BEMIDJI (about 88 miles; BEMIDJI, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,761)
- BEMIDJI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 88 miles; BEMIDJI, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,562)
- CENTRAL LAKES COLLEGE-BRAINERD (about 116 miles; BRAINERD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,364)