The continents of the world are large strips of land surrounded by water, where it is possible to find different forms of life, vegetation and climate. In total, there are six: America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania and Antarctica.
View Articles by Continent
The continents of the world were formed in the Precambrian period, about 4.5 billion years ago, on tectonic plates, which were initially grouped in an immense territorial mass called Pangeia.
Continents and their countries
Below are the most populous countries on each continent:
Asia has 50 countries. According to BRIDGAT.COM, the 10 most populous are:
|China||Beijing||1.386 billion (2017)|
|India||New Delhi||1.339 billion (2017)|
|Indonesia||Jakarta||264 million (2017)|
|Pakistan||Islamabad||197 million (2017)|
|Bangladesh||Dhaka||164.7 million (2017)|
|Japan||Tokyo||126.8 million (2017)|
|Philippines||Manila||104.9 million (2017)|
|Vietnam||Hanoi||95.54 million (2017)|
|Will||Tehran||95.54 million (2017)|
|Thailand||Bangkok||69.04 million (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in Asia:
America has 36 countries. See countries by subcontinents:
According to Countryaah, North America has 4 countries:
|USA||Washington||327.2 million (2018)|
|Mexico||Mexico City||129.2 million (2017)|
|Canada||Ottawa||37.06 million (2018)|
Of the 20 Central American countries the 5 most populous are:
|Guatemala||Guatemala City||16.91 million (2017)|
|Cuba||Havana||11.48 million (2017)|
|Honduras||Tegucigalpa||9.265 million (2017)|
|El Salvador||Salvador||6.378 million (2017)|
|Nicaragua||Managua||6.218 million (2017)|
Of the 12 countries in South America the 5 most populous are:
|Brazil||Brasilia||209.3 million (2017)|
|Argentina||Buenos Aires||44.27 million (2017)|
|Colombia||Bogota||49.07 million (2017)|
|Venezuela||Caracas||31.98 million (2017)|
|Peru||lime||32.17 million (2017)|
Africa has 54 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
|Nigeria||Abuja||190.9 million (2017)|
|Ethiopia||Addis Ababa||105 million (2017)|
|Egypt||Cairo||97.55 million (2017)|
|Democratic Republic of Congo||Kinshasa||81.34 million (2017)|
|South Africa||Pretoria (Executive), Bloemfontein (Judiciary), Cape Town (Legislative)||56.72 million (2017)|
|Tanzania||Dodoma||57.31 million (2017)|
|Kenya||Nairobi||49.7 million (2017)|
|Algeria||Algiers||41.32 million (2017)|
|Sudan||Khartoum||40.53 million (2017)|
|Uganda||Kampala||42.86 million (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in Africa:
Europe has 50 countries and the most populous are:
|Russia||Moscow||144.5 million (2017)|
|Germany||Berlin||82.79 million (2017)|
|Turkey||Ankara||79.81 million (2017)|
|France||Paris||66.99 million (2019)|
|United Kingdom||London||66.04 million (2017)|
|Italy||Pomegranate||60.59 million (2017)|
|Spain||Madrid||46.72 million (2018)|
|Ukraine||Kiev||44.83 million (2017)|
|Poland||Warsaw||38.43 million (2017)|
|Romania||Bucharest||19.64 million (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in Europe:
Oceania has 14 countries and more than 10,000 islands. The most populous countries are:
|Australia||Canberra||24.6 million (2017)|
|Papua New Guinea||Port Moresby||8.251 million (2017)|
|New Zealand||Wellington||4.794 million (2017)|
|Solomon Islands||Honiara||611,343 (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in Oceania:
In sum, a continent or continent is a very large, contiguous area of land. In terms of size, there are Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe and Australia together with Oceania, i.e. seven continents.
Most continents are clearly separated from each other by oceans. Europe and Asia are an exception because there is no sea in between. Between the west and east, the Ural Mountains are the border. There are various possible boundaries between north and south, i.e. between the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea. Europe and Asia are therefore often called “Eurasia”.
Asia, Europe and Africa are called the “old world”, and in ancient times people traveled back and forth between Europe, Asia and Africa. The Europeans only discovered the “New World” at the beginning of modern times. The New World consisted of North America and South America. These two can also be seen as a large double continent, i.e. America. Australia was not part of the New World. The discovery of Australia followed at least 100 years later.
If you look at Europe and Asia as Eurasia and America as a double continent, then you only come across five continents with Africa, Antarctica and Australia. Otherwise you count up to seven continents. Oceania is not a real continent. But sometimes it is counted, sometimes it is counted as Australia.
NORTH POLE AND SOUTH POLE
Know the characteristics and the differences between the North Pole and the South Pole!
The North Pole and the South Pole are two geographic regions located, respectively, at the northern and southern tip of the Earth, registering the coldest temperatures on our planet and being characterized by the vastness of ice that covers them. Despite this, these two regions are very different. We will now know a little more about each of the land poles.
The North Pole, also known as the Arctic, is not even considered a continent, since it consists only of ice and polar caps. Despite this, there is animal life in this region, especially polar bears and some types of fish that live below the ice sheets, in addition to whales, seals and sea lions.
The South Pole, also known as Antarctica, is a continent, as it is a portion of land covered by large layers of ice. Unlike the north pole, it has variations in altitude, which makes it colder in the higher regions. Among the animals that live in Antarctica, penguins and other species that appear in the region to escape the heat or to reproduce, such as whales and some species of birds, stand out.
Solving the puzzle: in a fight between a Sea Lion and a Penguin, who would win?
Nobody. They live in different poles and will never meet!
Do Eskimos live in the North Pole or the South Pole?
At the North Pole. However, in reality, they do not live in the very north of the planet, but in the regions of Alaska, northern Canada and Russia, which are very close to the Arctic region.
- Ohio: Buckeye State December 1, 2022 - Anyone who thinks Ohio is an industrial state is wrong. In the 1980s, the state may have been the center of the Rust Belt, but the beautiful nature and impressive cities of the state have… Continue Reading
- Sluis, Netherlands November 25, 2022 - The small town of Sluis is located in the very south-west of the Netherlands, just 5 km from the border with Belgium. Its population is only a couple of thousand people. But there is a… Continue Reading
- Fogo, Cape Verde November 18, 2022 - Fogo Volcano Island is still erupting. The last eruption occurred quite recently - in 1995 - and destroyed several cities almost to the ground, but literally six months later they were restored. Tourists are attracted… Continue Reading
- Sights of Ardennes, Belgium November 11, 2022 - The Ardennes are a very popular holiday area in the southeast of Belgium. Just a short distance from the Netherlands, you can imagine yourself in a faraway foreign country. The Ardennes have a beautiful varied… Continue Reading
- Sights of Gran Canaria, Spain November 4, 2022 - According to Allcitycodes.com, Gran Canariais one of the most popular flying destinations among the Dutch when it comes to sun holidays. Gran Canaria belongs to the Canary Islands, an archipelago west of the coast of… Continue Reading
- US 33 and 35 in Indiana October 30, 2022 - US 33 in Indiana US 33 Begin Pleasant Mills End Elkhart Length 109 mi Length 175 km Route Ohio Decatur Fort Wayne Churubusco Ligonier Goshen Elkhart According to iamaccepted, US 33 is a US Highway… Continue Reading
- US 65, 80 and 84 in Louisiana October 29, 2022 - US 65 in Louisiana US 65 Get started Clayton End Shelburg Length 101 mi Length 163 km Route Clayton Newellton Tallulah Lake Providence Arkansas According to Existingcountries, US 65 is a US Highway in the… Continue Reading
- Alaska Economy October 28, 2022 - By far the most important source of income for Alaska is oil extraction. If Alaska were a country, the economic situation would be very similar to that of OPEC countries such as Kuwait and Saudi… Continue Reading
- US 141 and 2 in Michigan October 27, 2022 - US 141 in Michigan US 141 Get started Iron Mountain End Covington Length 54 mi Length 87 km Route Wisconsin Iron Mountain Wisconsin Wisconsin Crystal Falls Covington According to watchtutorials, US 141 is a US… Continue Reading
- State Route 87 and 91 in Nebraska October 26, 2022 - State Route 87 in Nebraska SR-87 Get started alliance End whiteclay Length 77 mi Length 124 km Route alliance Hay Springs Rushville whiteclay South Dakota According to act-test-centers, State Route 87, also known as Highway… Continue Reading