The continents of the world are large strips of land surrounded by water, where it is possible to find different forms of life, vegetation and climate. In total, there are six: America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania and Antarctica.
View Articles by Continent
The continents of the world were formed in the Precambrian period, about 4.5 billion years ago, on tectonic plates, which were initially grouped in an immense territorial mass called Pangeia.
Continents and their countries
Below are the most populous countries on each continent:
Asia has 50 countries. According to BRIDGAT.COM, the 10 most populous are:
|China||Beijing||1.386 billion (2017)|
|India||New Delhi||1.339 billion (2017)|
|Indonesia||Jakarta||264 million (2017)|
|Pakistan||Islamabad||197 million (2017)|
|Bangladesh||Dhaka||164.7 million (2017)|
|Japan||Tokyo||126.8 million (2017)|
|Philippines||Manila||104.9 million (2017)|
|Vietnam||Hanoi||95.54 million (2017)|
|Will||Tehran||95.54 million (2017)|
|Thailand||Bangkok||69.04 million (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in Asia:
America has 36 countries. See countries by subcontinents:
According to Countryaah, North America has 4 countries:
|USA||Washington||327.2 million (2018)|
|Mexico||Mexico City||129.2 million (2017)|
|Canada||Ottawa||37.06 million (2018)|
Of the 20 Central American countries the 5 most populous are:
|Guatemala||Guatemala City||16.91 million (2017)|
|Cuba||Havana||11.48 million (2017)|
|Honduras||Tegucigalpa||9.265 million (2017)|
|El Salvador||Salvador||6.378 million (2017)|
|Nicaragua||Managua||6.218 million (2017)|
Of the 12 countries in South America the 5 most populous are:
|Brazil||Brasilia||209.3 million (2017)|
|Argentina||Buenos Aires||44.27 million (2017)|
|Colombia||Bogota||49.07 million (2017)|
|Venezuela||Caracas||31.98 million (2017)|
|Peru||lime||32.17 million (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in America, including North America and South America:
Africa has 54 countries, of which the 10 most populous are:
|Nigeria||Abuja||190.9 million (2017)|
|Ethiopia||Addis Ababa||105 million (2017)|
|Egypt||Cairo||97.55 million (2017)|
|Democratic Republic of Congo||Kinshasa||81.34 million (2017)|
|South Africa||Pretoria (Executive), Bloemfontein (Judiciary), Cape Town (Legislative)||56.72 million (2017)|
|Tanzania||Dodoma||57.31 million (2017)|
|Kenya||Nairobi||49.7 million (2017)|
|Algeria||Algiers||41.32 million (2017)|
|Sudan||Khartoum||40.53 million (2017)|
|Uganda||Kampala||42.86 million (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in Africa:
Europe has 50 countries and the most populous are:
|Russia||Moscow||144.5 million (2017)|
|Germany||Berlin||82.79 million (2017)|
|Turkey||Ankara||79.81 million (2017)|
|France||Paris||66.99 million (2019)|
|United Kingdom||London||66.04 million (2017)|
|Italy||Pomegranate||60.59 million (2017)|
|Spain||Madrid||46.72 million (2018)|
|Ukraine||Kiev||44.83 million (2017)|
|Poland||Warsaw||38.43 million (2017)|
|Romania||Bucharest||19.64 million (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in Europe:
Oceania has 14 countries and more than 10,000 islands. The most populous countries are:
|Australia||Canberra||24.6 million (2017)|
|Papua New Guinea||Port Moresby||8.251 million (2017)|
|New Zealand||Wellington||4.794 million (2017)|
|Solomon Islands||Honiara||611,343 (2017)|
Alphabetical List of all countries in Oceania:
In sum, a continent or continent is a very large, contiguous area of land. In terms of size, there are Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe and Australia together with Oceania, i.e. seven continents.
Most continents are clearly separated from each other by oceans. Europe and Asia are an exception because there is no sea in between. Between the west and east, the Ural Mountains are the border. There are various possible boundaries between north and south, i.e. between the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea. Europe and Asia are therefore often called “Eurasia”.
Asia, Europe and Africa are called the “old world”, and in ancient times people traveled back and forth between Europe, Asia and Africa. The Europeans only discovered the “New World” at the beginning of modern times. The New World consisted of North America and South America. These two can also be seen as a large double continent, i.e. America. Australia was not part of the New World. The discovery of Australia followed at least 100 years later.
If you look at Europe and Asia as Eurasia and America as a double continent, then you only come across five continents with Africa, Antarctica and Australia. Otherwise you count up to seven continents. Oceania is not a real continent. But sometimes it is counted, sometimes it is counted as Australia.
NORTH POLE AND SOUTH POLE
Know the characteristics and the differences between the North Pole and the South Pole!
The North Pole and the South Pole are two geographic regions located, respectively, at the northern and southern tip of the Earth, registering the coldest temperatures on our planet and being characterized by the vastness of ice that covers them. Despite this, these two regions are very different. We will now know a little more about each of the land poles.
The North Pole, also known as the Arctic, is not even considered a continent, since it consists only of ice and polar caps. Despite this, there is animal life in this region, especially polar bears and some types of fish that live below the ice sheets, in addition to whales, seals and sea lions.
The South Pole, also known as Antarctica, is a continent, as it is a portion of land covered by large layers of ice. Unlike the north pole, it has variations in altitude, which makes it colder in the higher regions. Among the animals that live in Antarctica, penguins and other species that appear in the region to escape the heat or to reproduce, such as whales and some species of birds, stand out.
Solving the puzzle: in a fight between a Sea Lion and a Penguin, who would win?
Nobody. They live in different poles and will never meet!
Do Eskimos live in the North Pole or the South Pole?
At the North Pole. However, in reality, they do not live in the very north of the planet, but in the regions of Alaska, northern Canada and Russia, which are very close to the Arctic region.
- Saint Francis, Maine March 24, 2023 - According to campingship, Saint Francis, Maine is a small town located in the northeastern corner of the state. It is bordered by the Penobscot River to the east and the Atlantic Ocean to the south.… Continue Reading
- Western Sahara Political Systems and Social Conditions March 17, 2023 - Western Sahara is a region located in the northwest of Africa. It was colonized by Spain in the 19th century and remained under Spanish control until 1975. During this time, the Sahrawi people, who inhabit… Continue Reading
- Vernon Center, Minnesota March 12, 2023 - Vernon Center, Minnesota is a small town located in the south-central part of the state. It has a population of around 500 people and covers an area of just over 1 square mile. The geography… Continue Reading
- Vergas, Minnesota March 11, 2023 - Vergas, Minnesota is a small town located in the heart of Otter Tail County. See health-beauty-guides for top counties in Minnesota. With a population of just over 1,000 people, Vergas is a rural community that… Continue Reading
- Vatican City Society February 26, 2023 - Social Conditions Vatican City is the smallest independent state in the world, located within the city of Rome. It is home to the Pope, head of the Catholic Church, and his administration. As a sovereign… Continue Reading
- Alfred, Maine February 24, 2023 - According to fashionissupreme, Alfred, Maine is a small town of approximately 2,500 inhabitants located in York County. It is situated in the southeast corner of the state and bordered by the towns of Waterboro, Lyman,… Continue Reading
- Albion, Maine February 17, 2023 - According to ezinesports, Albion is a small town located in the western part of Maine, United States. It is situated in Kennebec County and has a total population of around 1,200 people. The town was… Continue Reading
- Casablanca, Morocco February 10, 2023 - Despite its location in the very Arab state with Muslim traditions, today Casablanca is a business center with skyscrapers, the economic capital of Morocco. This is a city of avant-garde and new technologies, similar in… Continue Reading
- Iquique, La Serena and Portillo, Chile February 3, 2023 - Iquique Iquique is the capital of the Chilean region of Tarapaca, the main fishing port of the country, as well as a free economic zone where you can save on purchases. Tourists also feel comfortable… Continue Reading
- Koggala, Sri Lanka December 30, 2022 - Koggala is a small but already very popular resort located south of Colombo. Its main attraction is a luxurious five-kilometer beach that attracts tourists of all stripes. Families with children and party-goers, newlyweds stunned with… Continue Reading