Antigua and Barbuda is a small country located in the Caribbean with a population of around 97,000 people. The majority of the population is ethnically African, descended from slaves brought to the islands by British colonists. Christianity is the predominant religion, with over 80% of citizens identifying as Christians while the remaining 20% are followers of traditional religions or other religious groups. The official language is English, but Antiguan Creole and Caribbean Hindustani are also commonly spoken. Most Antiguans and Barbudans live in urban areas and work in tourism or services rather than agriculture. Poverty levels have been steadily decreasing since 2010, with the unemployment rate currently at 10%. Check hyperrestaurant to learn more about Antigua and Barbuda in 2009.
Public social insurance, which applies to all residents, covers the majority of health care costs and provides sickness benefits and pensions. However, the standard of care is low, and those who can afford fly to the United States for care. Unemployment was around 11 percent in 2001, but due to emigration there is a shortage of labor in some sectors. Check to see Antigua and Barbuda population. Antigua and Barbuda are a major stopover for drug traffic to the United States, and drugs are a major problem, as are violence against women. Visit AbbreviationFinder to see the definitions of ATG and acronym for Antigua and Barbuda.